Shooting on Marshall Street leaves 3 wounded

Michael Burke | News Editor

Three people were shot on Marshall Street around 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning. A heavy police presence was seen in the area into the morning.

Three people were shot on Marshall Street early Sunday morning, police said. All are expected to survive the injuries suffered in the shooting.

Around 2:37 a.m., a Syracuse Police Department Officer heard multiple gunshots. While police investigated the Marshall Street area, three people — none affiliated with Syracuse University — arrived at Upstate University Hospital with gunshot wounds. A 16-year-old and 17-year-old had non-life-threatening injuries to their right legs. Another man, 25, is in critical condition but is expected to survive after a gunshot to his abdomen area, police said.

Police have not made any arrests in the case but are searching for three men who were last seen leaving the Marshall Street area in a white Chevrolet TrailBlazer.

The shooting occurred at the corner of Marshall Street and University Avenue, SU Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado said in an email to the campus community Sunday.

Maldonado also said that increased police patrols were already in the Marshall Street area at the time of the shooting, allowing for a quick response. Because of that, “there was no active threat to the campus community,” Maldonado said in the email.

Maldonado said police have added increased patrols because of the unusually warm weather over the weekend.

An Acropolis Pizza House manager said police collected surveillance camera footage from the store on Sunday morning. Employees at Calios, Jimmy John’s and Pita Pit — each of which were still open when the shooting occurred — said the police did not request footages of surveillance cameras in their stores.

On multiple occasions in the past, crimes have occurred around Acropolis and on Marshall Street.

In September 2015, four people not affiliated with SU were stabbed during a large fight outside of the pizza store around 2:30 a.m. Each of the victims in that incident survived.

In September 2012, a 31-year-old Syracuse man not affiliated with SU was stabbed around 2 a.m. after a fight in the Acropolis doorway.

Following the 2012 stabbing, then-SPD Sgt. Tom Connellan said in an email to The Daily Orange that Acropolis had “been a focal point for late night problems over the last several months.” In response to the stabbing, DPS and the SU Student Association sent out an email to the student body suggesting students not go to Acropolis late at night.

At least two other stabbings have occurred on Marshall Street in the past two years. In July 2016, three men were stabbed around 1 a.m. after a fight broke out on the 100 block of the street. The injuries were not life-threatening. In May 2015, a 25-year-old man was stabbed multiple times around 3 a.m. on Marshall Street.


Top Stories